Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Roasted Red Beet Salad-Crockpot method

I had heard about roasting potatoes in the crock-pot, so I tried it today with red beets. I washed and cut the tops from the beets to 1" from the root. I did not cut into the flesh at all and left the "tails" on. I put them in the crock-pot set at medium for 3 1/2 hours. I turned off the pot at that point and took off the lid and let them cool. It was very easy to peel them.

Cubed beets
Diced onions
Sea Salt, unrefined "real salt"
Horseradish, prepared
Sour Cream, Daisy brand it the best commercial brand I have access to.

This makes an alarming but beautiful pink salad and it's delicious. I ate it room temperature.

I liked the fact that these beets maintained their juices and were made even sweeter by not cooking them in water. I found that I could pile them in and amazingly, the clean-up of the crockpot was very easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment