Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Organ Meat Burgers

Back to Kelly:
http://kellythekitchenkop.com

Today I braved eating organ meats. I ground a 3 1/4 lb. grassfed beef heart and added 1/2 lb. of goat liver. I mixed it together and to sample the flavor, I heated my iron griddle with bacon fat and fried a tablespoon of the mixture. I took another tablespoon of the mixture and added ground bacon, and the third taste was the meat mixed with salt and pepper. All three were delicious. I can barely taste any liver flavor and even though the mix is heavy on the heart, I will actually eat this as burger, meatballs, or meatloaf.

With one pound of the meat, I added 1 t. unrefined sea salt, 1 t. pepper, and one egg along with some ground onion which I put through the grinder last. I formed the mix into small meatballs and fried these up in bacon fat and will add the sauce ingredients next. I used frozen tomato sauce and served this over brown rice cooked according to Nourishing Traditions. It was very satisfying.

I made burgers using a press lined with plastic wrap. I still use some plastic and feel that if it's cold, it's much safer than with hot food. I froze these flat on a cookie sheet, and then gathered them up in a container to use as "Fast Food"

No comments:

Post a Comment