Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

Dinner Casserole similar to Breakfast Casserole

When I make my Breakfast Quiche Casserole, I sometimes use spinach for the first layer to make a lower carb. version. Tonight I used onion tops and they are just wonderful.

Melt 4 T butter in large glass casserole dish in the oven set to 350 degrees.

Chop green onion tops. I had lots from the onions I bought last week at the farmer's market. I sometimes throw these away, but no longer.

Pull out the casserole with the melted butter and toss the green tops in butter and put back in the oven for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute:

1 lb. sausage-pasture raised or ground pork with
1 t. sea salt and
1 t. pepper for seasoning, sauteed gently and set aside.

Mix equal parts eggs and milk, and this time I used some goat broth for the liquid.

3 C. eggs (about 1 dozen), whisk in bowl.
3 C. Milk or broth or both, add to eggs.
1 t. sea salt-unrefined
1/2 t. pepper

4 C. grated cheese. I use a grass-fed Colby cheese and I don't mind that this cheese is NOT raw because I'm going to cook it anyway.

Pull out the hot sizzling onions and top with the sausage, cheese, and milk/broth mixture.

Return to oven for 30 minutes.

The mixture of milk and broth was interesting. There was clear broth that separated from the milk/egg mixture but in a really nice way. It was very juicy which I really liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment