Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Hoppin John

A favorite meal, especially for work lunches (thermos food) is Hoppin John. I make my own version which uses foods I always have on hand.

Bacon, chopped and sauteed with
Onion, chopped
Celery, chopped
Carrots, cubed

Cooked black eyed peas using the overnight soaking method, then drained.
2 Bay leaves
Garlic, plenty of cloves
Bone Broth that I usually have cooking on the stove. It doesn't seem to matter what kind.
Thyme, dried
Hot pepper flakes.
Sea Salt, unrefined.

1 C. brown rice cooked with
2 C. water
1 t. salt
2 T butter


I saute the first ingredients in the bacon and fat, then add everything else, adding the bone broth to just cover the pea mixture. I simmer this while I cook rice to go with it. I add the two together to store for lunches. I like to cook brown rice on a very low heat and do it an hour. It has such a nice nutty flavor. I usually try to soak the rice overnight too which neutralizes the phytates, but rice isn't so high that this step gets skipped in my house sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment