Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lasagna with Gluten Free Soba Pasta

I learned to make soba (buckwheat and gluten-free) noodles from Kimi at Nourishing Gourmet. Two changes I made were to add 1 1/2 t. salt after I had soaked the mixture for 36 hours along with 1 T. arrowroot powder to help with the flexibility. It was no problem to work these things into the dough. There is no gluten to tense up and resist. I used arrowroot to dust the board and rolling pin.

Update 1-24-2010: I made soba noodles with great success when I ground my own buckwheat but when I bought buckwheat flour, it was very different. It was much darker and had a strong flavor when I cooked a test noodle. I didn't end up using the dough. I'm researching why this would be. I find my own ground flour to be delicious, but not the purchased flour. I don't know why yet.

I got my regular lasagna ingredients together and then rolled out the pasta onto a board, cut it into wide noodles (just like commercial lasagna noodles) and layered them into the casserole dish raw, along with everything else. I did wait to top with fresh mozzarella until it had baked for 45 minutes. If I don't do that, the mozzarella browns too much for me.

Tomato sauce with oregano and basil.
Sauteed hamburger, seasoned with salt (1 t./lb.)
White sauce made with sprouted whole wheat flour.
Collard Greens-cut up and raw
Soba noodles cut wide like lasagna
Peas-just a few sprinkled in.
Mushrooms-sauteed
Mozzarella cheese-fresh sliced
Cheddar cheese-I still like a little cheddar in my lasagna even though it's not authentic.

Layer the above ingredients and bake for 45 min.
Add mozzarella and cheddar cheeses and bake 15 to 20 min. more.

Cool a bit before eating-for best flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment