Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sprouted Flour

I've learned to sprout grains to neutralize the phytates on the surface which are anti-nutrients when we eat whole grains that are not properly soaked. This also increases digestibility.

2 C. white whole wheat berries in
1/2 gallon jar
Warm water

I put this jar above my stove where the light keeps it warm-especially in the winter.
Soak overnight or 12 hours.

Pour out the water using a special mesh lid for the wide-mouth jar or a strainer if you don't have this.

Rinse several times a day until you see the sprout budding from the grain. I consider them perfect just before the tail flips out and becomes hair-like.

After each rinsing, drain well and keep jar on it's side with plenty of ventilation.

Drain when ready and layer on solid or small mesh screens in a dehydrator. If I didn't have a dehydrator, I'd dry the berries on a towel and put on a cookie sheet in the oven at the lowest temperature possible.

Put in dehydrator and leave on for about 8 hours. I always chew one to make sure it's hard and not wet so that my grain mill will have no problem.

Grind grains into flour and freeze for things like:

Cookies-Hermits are my favorite just now.
White sauce
Short bread
Pie crust

Sprouted flour is so useful where there is no liquid in a recipe to soak the grains. 2 C. of grain yields about 3 1/2 C. flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment